Thursday, February 19, 2009

Homemade Hot Fudge

The last few months I've been on a hot fudge kick... and especially lately, since I've had a pregnancy mania craving for banana splits, I've had hot fudge on the brain. I'm not much of a chocolate fan, but there's something irresistible about a thick, rich hot fudge oozing over cold snowy vanilla. I've tried a quite few recipes, including this simple one from food storage, one posted earlier this week at Smitten Kitchen (aka Dessert Heaven, that site is devastating for my waistline,) and this one from the Wednesday Chef. After a series of rigorous taste tests involving chocolate-loving men in my life, the vote is unanimous, the Wednesday Chef recipe simply can't be beat.

This is no wussy chocolate sauce. This is thick, thick, glop-from-the-spoon hot fudge, with a rich gloss and nearly black bittersweet flavor. It takes fifteen minutes, max, to whip up and licking the bowl will leave you jittery from chocolate sugar shock. So good! I have five cups of it sitting in front of me on my counter right now. Michael says I have chocolate smeared all over my face and I have a deep seated feeling of pregnant female contentment. :c) Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Recipe Provenance: Nancy Silverton to Wednesday Chef to yours truly, adjusted to suit Happy Mormon Housewife sensibilities

Fabulous Hot Fudge Sauce

Makes 2 cups

7 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla or almond flavoring, or flavoring of choice

1. Melt chocolate pieces in large stainless steel mixing bowl (or top of double boiler) over saucepan of gently simmering water. Be sure water does not touch bottom of mixing bowl to prevent chocolate from burning. Turn off heat and keep warm over warm water until ready to use.

2. Bring sugar, corn syrup, water, cocoa powder to boil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly to dissolve cocoa powder and sugar and to prevent burning on bottom of pan.

3. Whisk in melted chocolate. Boil hot fudge for few minutes to reduce to consistency you desire. It should be quite viscous and surface should have glossy shine. Cool slightly and beat in flavoring.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I think it's Baby Z who is currently devastating your waistline :) But in a good way!! LOL... I think I'm almost determined enough to get my waistline back or at least lose 20 lbs!! I was looking at pics when I was preggo with Elijah and I looked so good! My face never looked fat, etc...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hbrooke/sets/72157600432033996/