Thursday, September 20, 2007

What a Mess

Well, we're moved out. Sort of. Really we're moved-ish. The basement is spick and span, the upstairs is carpeted with a thick layer of random "stuff" that we have no idea what to do with, and our HUGE semi truck is half full with our life. Funny that our life doesn't take up that much room.
Thanks to the help of family and friends, and a couple of humongous, ponytailed passing Micronesians, yesterday's 17 hour moving marathon wasn't quite as aich-ee-double-hockey-stickish as I thought it would be. By the time Michael and I staggered into my parents' house about 11 PM, we both looked like survivors of second world war. I'd been up since 5 AM cleaning, packing, moving, lifting, and climbing the stairs several thousand times.
When Michael went to pick up his 22 foot trailer we had ordered, they told him that they didn't have any 22 footers left but they would be happy to give us the next size up for the same price. Michael happily agreed and we went outside to see them bring it out front. It came through the parking lot gate and OH MY GOSH IT'S HUUUUUUGE! It's a FULL SIZE semi truck. The interior is approximately the same size as our entire home AND the full basement. Holy cow. Tack the trailer on to tow the Volvo to it's new home and my studmuffin spouse is driving a healthy 45 feet of manly diesel and disk brakes. I stood in awe. This is without a doubt the largest vehicle I have ever set foot in. Well, I suppose a plane is bigger. But you know what I mean. It's a twenty foot barge!
Today we finish cleaning out the upstairs. Rearrange some packing, get some food, shovel out some space in the Honda, pick up grandpa, and we're off! Tonight we head to Cheyenne, WY.

4 comments:

Marnie said...

I can't believe Michael's gonna drive that truck! I think I might be too afraid to let Stephan drive a full on semi, but I guess if you don't have many options what can you do? Good luck with everything, drive safely and I hope Jed is good for you guys. Let us know how it all went down once you get to your new home.

Anonymous said...

OH WOW!!!

I've been meaning to leave a comment all week, I can't believe it went soo fast! I can't believe you are moving-how's your mom???? :] I've been there, done that a TON-so I've just got to tell you GOOD LUCK and ENJOY!!! Its quite the adventure but its fun in the end and fun to look back on. It sounds like its already turning out great. Best of luck w/ those trucks-believe me its way better to have more room than not enough! Life is crazy-whoa!

Love, Chelsea

Ann-Marie said...

Sounds exhausting! I hope the drive goes smoothly, and I can't wait to hear about all the adventures along the way. Write soon!

Unknown said...

I sure hope there's a picture of Michael and his truck forthcoming...