Monday, August 10, 2009

Toe Pinches

Every evening, I warm a small cup of milk in the microwave. I grab a sippy cup of water and a toothbrush with "yummy toothpaste". I peek into Jed's room, Baby Butter under my arm, and there I see my favorite sight in the whole world -- my two boys, snuggled up in bed. The lamp softly lights the scene, the "twinkle star" quietly lit above the bed. We kneel for a squeaky family prayer, hugs and kisses all around. Then its into to bed for my men, they nestle into the bright pillows and blankets for books time. Though the dishes await, many times I've lingered to enjoy the quiet moment. Sometimes Jed gives me a shove "GO, Mom. Go!" and I know my place -- OUT. Other times, though, I sit at the base of the bed and give my tired, handsome husband a foot rub. He smiles and sits back, and we all bask in the happy moment.

A few weeks ago, after I'd been impolitely kicked out of the room, Jed jumped up in the midst of a story. "Dad, just a second." "Jed, come sit down and finish the story." "Just a minute, Dad. Toe pinches." Michael grabbed him. "Jed, sit down!" "Dad! Need toe pinches! Just a second, Dad!" Jed walked to the bottom of the bed, plunked down, and rubbed his daddy's feet. "Toe pinches, Dad!" he said with a grin. Michael laughed out loud. Talk about a great family tradition! Now Jed gives Dad toe pinches every night.

This past Thursday, I took over bedtime duty so Michael could finish up some church business.



When Michael came in, I was in the midst of my own delicious toe pinches.



And then Zoe got toe pinches, too.


Bedtime is the best time of the day. We relish our quiet happy family time every night. Sometimes the routine takes a while, but the enjoyment of a happy, ruffled daddy who comes out after an hour of whispered giggles and songs, makes it worth every moment.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Such beautiful children. Thanks for the advise on inductions. I'm really hoping it will happen naturally.

Heather said...

Vanessa... so sweet. ;)
You make me want to relish our insane bedtime routine, rather than trying to rush through brushing sixty teeth and dressing three naked bodies as quickly as possible.

TulsaT said...

Yep, I see bedtime differently too. Thanks!

THE BANGARTS said...

That is seriously the cutest thing!! Jed is such a sweetie.

Rachael said...

I am so glad to know that you and your family get along so well and have developed such great memories with each other. I wish there were more people like you and Michael in the world!