Monday, March 3, 2008

Home Can Be a Heaven On Earth Muesli

I think I've mentioned my recent obsession for pancakes. Well, I decided it was time for a change. So Saturday morning, we had home-made muesli instead.

My gosh, this is truly one of the most divine foods known to mankind. How is it I've never made this before???!!!! I'm drooling just thinking about it.

HOME CAN BE A HEAVEN ON EARTH MUESLI

The night before combine and refigerate:
2 cups cream (I substituted half milk and it was still unbelievably delicious)
2 cups rolled oats

In the morning stir in:
1 handful of nuts (We had cashews. Next time I'll try toasting them.)
2 small hanfuls of dried fruit (We used half raisins, half dried cranberries)
1 chopped apple
2 t. honey (to taste)

Eat until you float away on a cloud of unbelievable pleasure.

Other fun ideas to add/substitute:
fresh peaches
pears
bananas
strawberries
raspberries
yogurt
cinnamon
nutmeg
maple syrup
agave
walnuts
hazelnuts
almonds
millet
granola
cooked barley/wheat berries
etc.

Another fantastic thing about this breakfast is that it takes literally almost no time to prepare. Which is good on a lazy Saturday morning. I brought it all up in a huge bowl and we ate it together in bed. Hallelujah!

2 comments:

Zoe M. said...

Vanessa,
We always eat it with: walnuts, yogurt, rolled oats,
and the fruit thats in season. Your right, it tastes sooooooo good.
Zoe

Shannon said...

My comment was going to be just like the above mentioned one minus the walnuts. I think it's a European type meal that is yogurt based with fruit and oats, or so my mom raised us thinking! No matter...it's delicious. I'll have to try your deliciousness. Thanks, as usual, for sharing.