Thursday, April 30, 2009

Asian Noodle Salad

Here's a recipe from Pioneer Woman, with fabulous photos over at her site. Beautiful, tasty, and infinitely variable!

My comments and additions in italic

SALAD:
1 package linguine noodles cooked (also yummy with soba noodles)

1/2 to 1 head Napa cabbage
1/2 to 1 head purple cabbage, sliced
1/2 to 1 bag spinach
1 red bell pepper, sliced (I used babylicious peppers in place once, they were lovely)
1 orange bell pepper, sliced (or yellow)
1 small bag bean sprouts (never used these but I'm sure they would be tasty)
3 sliced scallions (I used green onions)
3 peeled, sliced cucumbers
1 bunch chopped cilantro
1 can whole cashews, lightly toasted (or other nuts, or sesame seeds)
1 bag frozen small shrimp, defrosted
1/2 container of firm tofu, cubed

DRESSING:
juice of 1 lime (use less, perhaps, if you add the vinegar)
8 T olive oil
2-3 T sesame oil
8 T soy sauce
1/3 c brown sugar (this is too much for me, I just use a few tablespoons)
3 T fresh ginger, minced (or more! more! MORE!)

2 cloves chopped garlic
1-2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
More chopped cilantro
1/4 c. rice vinegar
1/8 c. white vinegar (I like my dressing with a big more zip)


Assemble the salad in the biggest bowl you own, then dress before eating. This salad needs LOTS and LOTS of dressing so really dump it on there. A couple times I've skimped and regretted it, especially since the salad seems to grow as I'm making it :c) This makes a HUGE salad, but don't worry, you'll eat more of it than you dreamed possible.

4 comments:

Jan said...

Thanks for these wonderful recipes.

Mike and Emily said...

sounds delish! I love her recipes.

Tania said...

OK, so this is also MY favorite salad ever, ever, ever! (I love pioneer woman.)

I've made it a bunch of times and could eat it everyday for weeks on end and never get sick of it. I've never thought of adding anything to it (There's so much in it), but shrimp & tofu - yum!

Oh just thinking about this makes me happy for summer.

capturingtheride said...

That sounds awesome - especially with Soba noodles...

I think I'll have to try it.

Did I ever tell you we DID become addicted to those Sweet Potato Burritos you posted over a year ago? Delish! Thanks!