Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Super Boy

There's something miraculous about my child. I'm sure it's the same miracle that every parents since Cain has oooed and aahhhed over, but that doesn't minimize the fact that this tiny little boy is a miracle child, nonetheless.

Just now, for instance, Jed is playing in his Johnny Jump Up (borrowed from some good friends, they're between infants right now. :c) ) In the past, Jed has just kind of hung in it, like it's a baby sack for hanging up small children. His toes might touch the ground, but never with any particular purpose, just poking around to see how it feels.

Today, however, he looks up at me intelligently. Both feet touch the ground, one hand in the sack, one hand out. I hold my hand out and he looks at my fingers, carefully maneuvers his right hand between the straps, uses his feet to turn himself around, and with a look of intense focus reaches out his hand, spreads his fingers, and closes them around my pointer finger, pulling himself closer as he does so.
Amazing!

Next I put a little toy propped up at his head height. He's facing the opposite direction. "Hey, Jed!" I say and rattle the toy. He uses his feet to turn around and looks intently at what I'm making that noise with. I use my hand and twirl a piece on the toy. He looks at me, looks at the toy, reaches out his hand, and with precisely the same movement that I just used, twirls the toy. Then he does it again.
Amazing!

He rolled over three times yesterday. He still can only do it from his tummy to his back, but he is MUCH better at it than he was the first time he did it (A month and a half ago on May 17th, but it seemed kind of like an accident because it took him a month to repeat it.) He also can maneuver around in circles on his back and easily turn himself from side to back to the other side as needed.
Amazing!

Earlier today I pulled out his scrapbook to put in a few last photos from when he was just two months old. He looks totally different now. He's so.... solid! He's got chunky thighs that pump like a puppy dog when he eats. Little muscles are visible in his upper arms. (Yes, my five month old has more definition in his arms than I do. How humiliating.) He smiles when you make faces at him and hates being left alone, out of the action. You can see him becoming a little boy, already! Not just a little baby to be acted upon, but a little person who wants to act and do and be a part of living!
Amazing!

My Super Boy!

No comments: