Sunday, August 5, 2007

Camp Ground-doggie!

Each summer, for those yet uninitiated, the Dowdle Clan gathers at our "structure" (a building whose name has caused such furious debate that we have chosen a neutral term ever after.) up in Stevensville MT for a big family reunion formally titled "The Montana Rendezvous."

When Eric and I were kids, Mom and her friend Karen would haul the kids up to Karen's cabin in Idaho for "Camp Ground-Doggie" where we would do crafts and outdoor activities, and eat til we were sick. Well, with the rising generation of young Dowdlers, Camp Ground-doggie has been re-insituted as a central part of the yearly MT Rendezvous. The camp is also occasionally referred to as "Camp Whistle-Pig," and I would like to set the record straight that it was I, VANESSA, who came up with that clever little moniker. Just in case anyone else might be trying to take my glory.

This year's MT Rendezvous and Camp Whistle-Pig drew a crowd of 25 or so. Zo'An's cookies layered a good five pounds on my already sagging waistline, the river trip turned into more of a barbaric reliving of the defeat of Rome, the puppet show made us all laugh til our sides hurt, and Paul miraculously found his wedding ring. I think the week was a hit!

ATTENDEES: PLEASE! Take a moment and leave a comment telling us your favorite MT Rendezvous and Camp Ground-doggie experience! It's easy, click on "comments" at the bottom of this post. We'll put your comments in our Ground-doggie scrapbook.


Mom 's new couch only lasted a week. The cousins sure had fun breaking it, though! QUIZ: Can you find Heber?


Cars parked at the structure. Site of the Marshmallow Shooter Massacre.


Jackson, King of the Dirtpile!


Paul and beautiful Paloma.


Three Little Pigs at the puppet show.

6 comments:

NessaAnn said...

My favorite memory from Camp Ground-doggie was watching Eric wrestle a plastic blow-up alligator in the river... and losing. :c)

Anonymous said...

I'll leave a comment even though I wasn't there...........

I WISH I HAD BEEN!!!!! I miss home so much and am so glad your family could get together again and have such a fabulous time up there. It looked awesome and sounded like a blast. You guys always know how to party it up to the fullest. It was fun to see glimpses of familar foothills too :] Your photos are again amazing and soo good!

So hi, I know I never leave you comments but I have seen your blog and really enjoy it. Your baby is super cute and growing and changing soo fast-its so amazing. You look so beautiful too Vanessa and looks like you are having tons of fun w/ your boys and cameras too. I just got a new job at the photo lab in Costco and it makes me wish now I knew more about photography :]

Keep having a blast and enjoy the rest of the hot, hot, summer. We hope to go home to MT the end of the month-fingers crossed!!!!

Lots of love, Chelsea

Shiloh said...

So, um, how do I get into this family?!! Vanessa-- you are the cutest!!!

Anonymous said...

What!!! Excuse me but I did the research and found that grouddoggies are also called whistlepigs.... just refer to last years MT Bugle!!!!! Z

NessaAnn said...

Well, Shiloh, my brother Eric is still available... but you'd have to prefer younger hairy men who sleep with their mouths open.

NessaAnn said...

Noway! IIIIIII did the research and I shared it with you! Huh! Usurpers!