Sunday, August 19, 2007

Prisoners in Kentucky

My new cool awesomely fun pastime is....

Recording names from prisoners in the Lyon, Kentucky prison in the year 1900.

Neato, eh? The hottest new genealogical pastime is downloadable here onto your personal computer. Get the program, download a batch of records (each batch takes about an hour, they say), and wah-lah! Your own personal digital image of an old census, baptismal record, or some such record from antiquity. You transcribe the names, send 'em back, they get checked a few times and put here for everyone in the whole wide world to enjoy. You don't finish it? No big deal! At the end of the week it gets sent back for someone else to finish.

Oh, what fun. I've done my first fifteen prisoners (my favorite is "Bird Morgan" from Missouri) and I think I'll keep the rest 'til morning.

4 comments:

Katie said...

How funny that you should mention this today! I've been meaning to start doing indexing for weeks or months, but keep forgetting about it. I finally remembered yesterday, and the website was down! Looks like it's working now though :-D

Ben Arkell said...

I signed up last week and have done 2 bathces. Hate to say it, but I feel a little less guilty because now I actually am doing genealogy. I am glad the church has made it so easy for lazy people like me to actually do something. It's very fun though.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to your heads-up on the Ensign article, I am having a great time indexing. I just finshed my third batch. I haven't tried prison records yet. that will be my next stop.

Do you leave blanks in the spaces that you can't decipher?

Ms. Keller said...

Okay, I am weighing in on the color purple pole. Vanessa! How can you even consider NOT enveloping your son with purple (and pink, and magenta) clothing?? Do you not recall the days that your brother Eric and Drew were dressed like "wind socks" (to quote Uncle Bobbo) with almost every color of the rainbow represented in one outfit?!?!?!?! Come on, where has your fashion sense gone to????? Get that boy into some real color!