Friday, March 12, 2010

Parking Lot Prayer

Yesterday, as I loaded my groceries into the trunk of my car, two young black girls approached my car. They held armfuls of books and wide smiles. As they questioned me a bit about my faith, I glanced over at Jed, still in the basket, and felt Zoe's sleepy head lean against my back. I thought for a moment of cutting them off mid-schpiel, but as they talked to me about their college they attended in Alabama, and about the faith-based books they were offering "for a donation" I could see what nice girls they were, how sincerely they believed their message could help others, and I just couldn't cut them off.

See, I remember being a nice girl wearing a dress and a tag, approaching people in a Walmart parking lot just a few years ago. I believed my message could help people with all my heart. I smiled because I loved the people I approached and wanted to help them. I rejoiced when they listened.

So I listened. I don't share many of their beliefs and I told them that, but I did tell them how much I appreciated what they were doing, and their sincerity. I told them since our family is working on getting out of debt, I couldn't donate to their school. They understood. But I did say that I'd been there, long ago in a hot, distant place, and I hope they'd do some good that day. They offered to pray with me. I figured what the heck, more prayers can't hurt. So we held hands right there in the parking lot and that beautiful girl offered up a beautiful prayer on behalf of my family.

I hope my little boy remembers that someday. Three people of different faiths, different races, different stages of life and backgrounds holding hands, praying in a parking lot.

One thing I've come to love about Indiana is that people are unafraid of religion here. It seems like out West religion has become so taboo that you can't even bring it up in polite society. Here there are church barbecues in the hardware store parking lot and scriptures on the bank sign. My doctor has crosses above all doors in his office. We have a Jewish synagogue down the road, a new Muslim mosque just completed a little further north, and Ganesh recently installed at the little Hindu temple.
Our community consists predominantly of mainstream Christian sects, and our own little Latter-day Saint congregation is far in the minority. I know most people around here would disagree with my beliefs, but I appreciate being in a place where I feel I can openly declare them. And I appreciate that others wish to share their faith with me.

Even in the parking lot.

13 comments:

Jan said...

Thanks for sharing this experience. I'm glad they found you!

NessaAnn said...

Thanks, Jan. It really made my day.

Brooke said...

I love that about where we live too! I am sure you touched their lives as much as they touched yours. Thanks for your awesome example.

Mike and Emily said...

You had me tearing up! What a lovely experience to have in a day. I love you and am so glad to have you for a sister.

Leisa said...

sweet!! They love you i know it. IT does bring back memories doesn't it.

Carrie said...

Thanks for sharing this. I miss the openness of religion in the east as well. I hope that I remember this experience if I am ever approached.

NessaAnn said...

@ Brooke - Yes, we are blessed to be here. I am amazed how much I love Indiana.

@ Em - I love you too. Why do we have to be so far apart just at the time we should live close together?

@ Leisa Lu - The memories are sweet and most of them contain YOU! It was kind of freaky to be in that situation but from the other side. I don't know why people were always so skittish, it really isn't a big deal.

@ Carrie - YES, it is kind of strange to go back West now and see how... barren the religious sphere is. It's like you can be Amish or Black Pentecostal and anything else is inappropriate. Funny I never noticed that growing up. I will miss it here, too, when we return westward some day.

NessaAnn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MKShelley said...

Indiana was by far the best place I've ever lived, and I'm on my fourth state currently. I wish I could go back!

I just wanted to tell you that you are a magnificent writer. Whenever I'm online I have at least 10 tabs open at all times just switching back and forth while watching a show on hulu in a different window, and it seems like whenever I get to the tab that has your blog in it, I always end up pausing my show to read your words. No other tab EVER makes me want to pause Hulu. Ever.

Have you ever thought about writing for a living?

Amy said...

You are such a great example for all of us. Love you........

NessaAnn said...

Melissa, you are so kind. I am totally honored to be the one and only Hulu-stopper. As a fellow Hulu addict I know how much that means. :) I love to write, that's what I focused on in college, and I have done some professional writing... but I just have a hard time fitting it in right now. My kids, calling, family, garden, and many friends right now fill a lot of the time that used to be spent writing. I really hope to get back into it soon. Seems like I just get my feet under me and things back to normal... right as a I get pregnant. ha ha ha. Time and season, I guess. Miss you. Are you sure you don't want to move back to IN? Because those girls sure are darling and I'd love to give them a squeeze again. And you too!

NessaAnn said...

Amy, I love you too. Now go have that baby.

MKShelley said...

I do want to move back to Indiana, but it's just not in the cards right now unfortunately. =(