Thursday, June 23, 2011

A Slightly Dull Pregnancy Update (for those who are interested)

People keep asking me how my pregnancy is going.  And I suppose the answer is perfectly fine!  Truth is, this has been a great pregnancy from my perspective.  Sometimes I wonder because in my past pregnancies, I've always got lots of comments on how great I look, how cute I look pregnant, etc. but this time around all I get is worried comments: "How are you feeling?"  and "Are you feeling ok?"  and "How is the baby doing?" so apparently with number 3 I look like heck, but I feel great!  I did have one lady tell me at the beginning of the pregnancy that I was a beautiful pregnant woman, so I keep clinging on to that (thanks Margaret!)

As a side note, there is only one thing you should ever tell a pregnant woman:  "You look great!"  Because that's all she really wants to hear.

I've had only a little sickness, and then only when traveling, and I've been sleeping much, much better this time around.  (For those who don't know, I have had horrible insomnia with my last two pregnancies.  I've still had a little this time, but so much less severe I don't feel like a walking zombie all the time!) I am carrying a 5 more pounds this time around (no thanks to a month of stomach flu, which always makes me hungry, and Christmas right at the beginning of my pregnancy) but I am right on with my weight gain, to the point of perfection.   I have a little swelling but nothing severe.  I always measure exactly 2 weeks large at my checkups, which is the same as with Zoe.

The most wonderful thing is that thanks to a fabulous physical therapist who helped me figure out my sacroiliac joint pain after Zoe's birth, I have had little to no pain so far, which has made the whole pregnancy a gajillion times more pleasant.  Apparently as soon as I get pregnant all my ligaments decide to completely stop doing their job and my whole back/pelvis falls apart. She gave me exercises and corrections I can do myself, so when I do get out of alignment I can get myself back in and the pain goes away in a day or two.  So I can sit and walk without extreme discomfort, as in pregnancies past, and it has made everything much easier on me! I am loosening up more and more as time goes by, so it will be a little worse I know, but we only have what, 7 or 8 weeks left?  I can handle that.

As far as preparations, I ashamedly confess I have done hardly any.  Our babies usually sleep in a pack 'n play in the bedroom with us.  I have plenty of blankets and clothes from babies past, I have baby carriers, and um, besides two bosoms what else do you really need?  OK, I guess we do need two new carseats (to fit three across in the car) and a few packs of newborn diapers, but otherwise I'm feeling pretty lazy about the whole affair.  Truthfully, I haven't given the baby a lot of thought so far.  I can only imagine what it's like when you have even more kids running around, you might forget you were pregnant for months at a time!

Lately, though, the baby has started kicking hard enough to make me stop and catch my breath, and that makes me realize that 51 days is NOT very long, and it makes me more than just a little bit excited to see our brand new baby number three.  The kids and I have been reading books and watching movies about brand new babies.  Jed made up a little song that he sings in a high little falsetto while rubbing my belly every morning:
"Baby I love you
I love you now
Come out soon
Little baby!"

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I'm going to say that people probably ask about your health more this pregnancy because it's your 3rd and they feel for you running after 2 little ones with one dawning on the horizon. As far as I can tell from pictures, you look FANTASTIC!! I'm glad things are going great this pregnancy and I totally agree that with more kids it would be easy to forget you were pregnant;) Have fun and I hope the end of your pregnancy is as great as the rest of it has been.