Monday, August 18, 2008

SIG&ECO

This morning I had the chance to tour the oldest power plant that my company owns. It has sat unused for decades, and the decision was made to decommission and tear it down. Right now they are in the process of pulling all of the asbestos out of it. It was absolutely fascinating to see how our power used to be produced, and to see how in some ways, the process hasn't changed at all.

Doors to the main furnace.


I just loved the double bell on this P.A. speaker. I wish they made things like this still.


This is in the basement. You would pull this lever to open the ash shoot.


On the board you can see the various towns and facilities that this power station served. Among my favorites are "S-16 Electric Shovel" and "Square Deal Coal Company".


One of the more modern turbines in this facility. It probably dates back to the mid to late 1930s.

1 comment:

Mike and Emily said...

Sweet pictures! I love them. You're amazing!