Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Beans Beans

Tonight I was supposed to give a food storage enrichment on BEANS. Nobody showed up, except Brandy, who was hosting it, so apparently beans are not high on most interest lists. This was fine, since Brandy and I love hanging out together and chatting it up anyway, but since I spent a bit of precious nap time typing up my bean recipes, I thought I'd make it worthwhile and share a few of them.

I made Spicy Bean Cake for our refreshments. Unfortunately, I forgot the baking powder which is kind of important. It was more of a Spicy Bean Mash. Still tasty, though, and so surprisingly healthy given how fantastic it turns out - light, fragrant, and yet still somehow hearty. I love this cake, even without an inch of cream cheese frosting...


SPICY BEAN CAKE
Cream together:
1/4 c. butter
2 eggs
1 1/2 t. vanilla

Add:
2 c. mashed pintos

Sift together:
1 c. flour (I usually make it with whole wheat)
1/2 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
2 t. baking powder
1 c. sugar
1 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. cloves
2 t. baking powder

Add to wet mixture.

Fold in:
2 c. diced apples
3/4 c. raisins
1/2 c. chopped nuts

Spread in a greased 9X13 pan.
Bake for 40-45 minutes at 375.
Frost with cream cheese frosting.

2 comments:

Jodi Reeve said...

I'll have to try that out. We use beans all the time.

The Santini Stew said...

Since you are dishing out recipes- I remember you posting about a sweet potato/black bean creation that I came to love. I can't find the recipe. Do you still have it? It was a wrap of some sort. We made it all of the time until we got sick of it and now it's time to make it again!