Thursday, February 19, 2009

Viper Change?


Not unexpectedly, since he has been indoctrinated by his father since emergence from the womb, Jed is totally obsessed with cars. This is more than your average "big truck" little boy stage. This kid has REALLY good taste. Since he was like three months old he would squeal and giggle whenever Dad revved the car. It's scary. It's in his genes. I hope 16 never comes.

Today he hauled Dad's February Car and Driver magazine into the bathroom while I got dressed after my morning shower. He flipped through the pages, pointing to cars as I named them. He especially likes the supercar comparos (see what I mean... scary!) One page specifically caught his fancy. Oooing and giggling, he brought the magazine over so I could see. "That's a Viper, Jed, a Dodge Viper." He looks at me quizzically. "Diaper?" "No, no, Vvvvvviper. Vvvvviper, it's a Dodge Viper." He looks down thoughtfully, deposits the magazine on the toilet seat, and runs from the room.

A few minutes, he returns, diaper basket in tow. He hauls the heaping basket over to the toilet and points from the basket to the magazine. He looks up at me, bright eyed and gears turning behind those greeny eyes. "Diaper?!" 'No, no, Jed, it's a car, a Dodge Viper." Oh. He thinks that over. "Dodge Viper change!" he announces and dreamily leans over the magazine, finger caressing the photos, one foot in the diaper basket and one a million miles away, pressing the pedal to the floor as he laps the Nurburgring in his own shiny red car.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

That's a good one!! You can't make this kind of stuff up :)

Mike and Emily said...

wow. that is scary. how does that happen?

Amanda Lynn, to be exact said...

Ummm, I love this more than I can say. But yeah, it is a little scary...