Saturday, February 14, 2009

True Love - Part 5

Yesterday was our Declared Valentine's Day.

And it was marvelous! After Michael left for work, Jed and I set to our super-secret Valentine's plans! First, I should mention that 1) I am not a particularly good decorator type person. I aspire, but I think too many years of ugly apartment dwelling made me stunted. Also, 2) I'm not terribly crafty but I like doing homemaking type activities, and I especially like crafts with my newly-capable buddy, Jedster.

We rolled out some newsprint and started tracing handprints and drawing hearts and squiggles all over it. I did some rudimentary lettering and wah lah! A Valentine's Banner for Daddy! We hung it on the wall and Jed ran around in circles, jumping up trying to grab it, thrilled with the new addition to our decor.

Then we got out the scissors and I cut hearts out, then handed them to Jed who happily sliced and diced to his little heart's content. We decorated them with markers and hung the hearts from our dining room fan, just in front of the banner. They made up our "Valentine's Mistletoe" and whoever is caught underneath gets kisses all around.

Later, we dipped Oreos in chocolate and sprinkled them with Valentine's colors. Jed, naturally, took on the important job of spoon and bowl licking. He REALLY likes Valentine's Day!

Making things and getting the house decorated with Daddy was so, so, so much fun. I love being a Mommy! And what's more, I love being a wife! I'm incredibly lucky to have a man worth dreaming about and doing silly projects for all day. I'll do anything just to see his happy smile.

That evening we got a babysitter (Jed's own babysitter here at the house for the very first time... he loves the attention.) and went out to dinner together. We chatted and laughed at a quiet downtown Asian restaurant, then went on one of our old favorite dates -- to Borders for browsing and hot cocoa. Despite the pregnant belly, stuffy nose, and tiredness, I felt just as happy and comfortable and full of light as I used to when we first started dating. I have such a wonderful man.

And today Michael gave up a eight hours of yet another weekend to go fulfill his church calling. He is as reliable and diligent and responsible as the day is long and I am so, so grateful to call him mine. I love my Michael Jed. Happy Valentine's Day, darling darling man.

No comments: