Saturday, June 6, 2009

Daily Routine

I've been trying to consciously set up a daily routine for Jed, thinking that having something steady and familiar will be helpful for both of us when the new baby comes. Of course things will be radically different then, but at least I can be conscious of how and where his little life will change. Today I sat down and outlined how our days go and this is what I came up with:

Jed's Daily Routine

7:00 AM – Wake Up!
Watch mom fix breakfast
Breakfast Time
Family scripture study
Jed scripture stories

8:00 AM – Couch Time with Mom
Read books
Sing songs

8:30 AM – Chore Time
Mom does chores
Jed plays with his toys or in sink

9:30 AM – Activity
Mon: Chore time cont'd
Tues: Playgroup at park
Wed: Walking with friends
Thurs: Primary Meeting, Grandma's House
Fri: Depends

12 PM – Lunch Time

1 PM – Quiet Time
Read 3 books together in bed
Mom naps
Jed plays quietly until he falls asleep

3 PMish – Wake up, Snack Time
Play Time outside or inside
Mon: Grocery Shopping

4 PM – Mom fixes dinner
Jed plays with puzzles, playdough, or other activity from closet
Watch Street or kid show on netflix if fussy

5:15 PM – Daddy's Home!

6 PM – Dinner Time
Mon: FHE

7 PM – Bath Time

7: 30 PM – PJs and roll around on the big bed with mom and dad

8 PM – Bedtime Routine (Family Prayer, Warm Milk, Tooth Brush, Books, Sleep)

So there's a peek into the mystical Stanfill household. Ha ha. Though I hadn't realized it, before I even started noticing, things already had settled into a pretty familiar routine. The one thing I have changed since I started keeping track is having Couch Time in the morning. It seems like if I spend those thirty minutes or so focused on Jed, he's much more content to play on his own for the rest of the morning. And then I get more done during my chore time.

5 comments:

Jodi Reeve said...

I agree 100%, the little bit of one on one time, gives you more time to get things done around the house!

Don't feel bad if the schedule has to change with the baby.

Jan said...

Your a wonderful mommy for Jed!

Tania said...

Michael gets home at 5:15?! I am so jealous. My kids don't even see Rick Mon - Fri. Literally, don't see him. He is not in the house during all their waking hours.

I am so ready to move to the middle of no-where. Of course, it needs to be a non-humid no-where (I'm not so desperate for Rick that I'm insane.)

Shannon said...

Thanks! This was so helpful, both to reaffirm what we are doing and to establish what we are not. You are smart to do it before baby comes!

Elise said...

Are you kidding me? You have a kid that will play by himself QUIETLY?! While you NAP?!

How do you TEACH that?!