Thursday, June 4, 2009

First Prayer

Jed said his first prayer tonight!

Every night before he and dad settle into bed for his night night routine, we say a family prayer. Usually that means that Jed rolls around on the bed moaning about how he's too tired to pray, while Dad and Mom pray. Then as soon as it's over he jumps up on his knees, folds his arms, and shouts "Pray, MomDad, Pray!" with a stern gaze, as if we've been sinfully praying without him. So we say another prayer.

Tonight, I decided, since he wanted to play that game that we'd just let him say the second prayer. So I asked him if he wanted to say the prayer. "Yes, Mom. Pray!" he replied. I leaned over until my lips just brushed his soft ear and whispered, "OK, say 'Dear Heavenly Father'." He sat back and looked at me blankly. Then he leaned forward and I whispered it again. He screwed his eyes shut tight and in a high squeaky boy voice repeated "A Heavly Father." Then he repeated the rest of a short prayer (Mostly thanks phrases addressing the highlights of the day -- playing with toys, eating sausage, daddy coming home, visiting the museum, etc.) He closed with "And Jesus A-MEN!"

I confess I got a little teary. He's such a sweet darling child and having him want to join us in prayer just makes my mom heart happy. My relationship with my Heavenly Father has been the cornerstone of my personal journey through life, and I feel that through prayer and personal revelation He has led me down a wonderful, joyful path. I want the same thing for my little Jed, and I guess it felt like this little prayer was my son's first step down along his own journey.

2 comments:

Mike and Emily said...

so sweet! I wish I could have heard it.

Jan said...

Such a tender, sweet, prayer. Makes me weepy!