Monday, June 22, 2009

Wild Animals

We live in an area populated with wildlife. We have turtles and frogs all over our yard. You can find baby birds under the tree, and worms in the garden. We have a baby giraffe that comes out to snuggle after every bath. Sometimes a little puppy sits in the car seat in the backyard. Baby elephants lumber through the living room, and sometimes we even find amphibians in our breakfast cereal.

One day, Jed came running into the kitchen, out of breath.

"MOM! Come 'ere!!!"
"What, Jed?"
"Mom, there's a LION in the bedroom!!!"

Naturally, I dropped what I was doing and we ran to my bedroom. Jed threw the door open and pointed to the bed. "LOOK, MOM!" His hand dropped and confusion crossed his face. "Hey, where'd the lion go?"

Similar sightings have included an elephant in Grandma's backyard.

Sometimes our friends and their children become confused when Jed enthusiastically points out his latest animal find to them. That turtle looks a lot like a pebble. He doesn't seem unfazed by their inability to discern his creatures. He looks up, eyes glowing, "Yes! Is turtle!"

This morning Jed woke up and called my name. I went in and laid down next to him. Usually, after his nap, I ask him what his dreams were about. He consistently answers "Animals." What kind? "Rar." That's it. Today, though, he didn't even wait for me to ask.

"Turtles running and digging, Mom."
"Oh, really?"
"And horsies digging."
"Was that your dream?"
"Yes, mom. The turtles running and digging and the horsies digging."
"Were the turtles digging in the sand for their eggs?"
"Mhmm." (pause) "I hungry now."

7 comments:

Mike and Emily said...

so cute. I want him to come visit his auntie. Can't that be arranged?

Annie Japannie said...

Why are children so fascinated with animals? I love it. I think they have this deep connection with the rest of the world that we forget when we grow up and get jaded.

When I was little, for years, my mom would ask me every morning what I had dreamed about. "Harses" was the inevitable answer.

NessaAnn said...

@ Emily - HA not until there's a cousin thrown in the bargain!

@ AnnieJapannie - I know, I wish I had horses and turtles digging in my dreams. Last night I dreamed I gave birth to a ten pound baby boy. YIKES! Let's hope that isn't evidence to a deep connection with the rest of the world.

NessaAnn said...

I missed the elephant. Was that Sunday night?

Jan said...

Sorry, I was logged in on your account from last night.

NessaAnn said...

@ Jan - No, this was a few weeks ago you mentioned he saw one in your backyard.

Rachael said...

How adorable! I love hearing about life with your little guy! It is so adorable!