Thursday, January 31, 2008

Baby Sign Language

For the last few months I have been (fairly casually) trying to teach Jed a few signs to he can communicate with us. He's recognized "Num-nums" (milk) for a while now, but only this week did he figure out that he can do it back to us and we will understand. The first time, he got so excited and started giggling and opening and closing his hand like a mad man! Look, Mom! I can communicate! Not that he understands--now it's become the all-purpose "me want this!" sign... he even does it in his sleep.

2 comments:

Jacob said...

Isn't it great when they finally start signing back?! I started signing to the baby I nanny at 6 months and it wasn't until about 9-10 that she started signing back! The funniest thing ever is once I put her in her crib for naptime and she rolled over, sat up, and frantically started signing "all done!" I guess it really did sink in!

Have fun with it!

Ali Howell said...

That is great! The fun thing about signing with your kids is that when they finally start talking they just pick it up and run...they skip the trying to learn language step and just start talking in sentences! I'm partial to sign, but i think it's great you're doing it with baby jed!