Saturday, January 12, 2008

Yum Yum Yum!!!

We have a new favorite family food. I discovered this recipe last week and we've already had it twice. I fantasize about these while driving down the road or while doing laundry or while laying in bed at 3 AM. They ARE incredibly addicting. Be wary.

I know, I know, the mustard and soy sauce sounds weird, but trust me. Yumilicious.

ADDICTIVE YAM AND BLACK BEAN BURRITOS

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups cooked black beans
2 cups water
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
4 teaspoons prepared mustard
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
3 tablespoons soy sauce

4 cups cooked and mashed yams
12 whole wheat tortillas
1 cup shredded cheese

Saute onion and garlic in oil. Add beans and water (to desired consistency) and head until warm. Take off burner and add spices, mustard, cayenne, and soy sauce.

Assemble burrito: On warmed tortilla put a thin layer of yams, a dollop of beans, a coating of cheese. Wrap and garnish with salsa and sour cream/plain yogurt.

Supposedly this feeds 12 but, *ahem* in our family it is probably more like, um, one dinner and one lunch for 2.3 people. Jed loves em.

My recipe is adapted from this one at allrecipes.com (I LOVE that site!)

I've been on a bean kick. Cooked beans from scratch for the very first time last week! Exciting! For another fantastic recipe, check out this recipe for black bean soup.

6 comments:

Brandon and Amber said...

Vanessa! How are you? I'm so glad I found your blog--now I get to see pictures of your cute family. I still have your pan. I'm sure you're missing it after all this time! Where are you living? We still live in Orem. You'll have to check out our blog at:
www.chubbsandthegirls.blogspot.com

Hope you're all doing great! Tell your family hello!

Brooke said...

I see I'm on your list, so now I *must* leave a comment :) I just wanted to tell you what amazing pictures you've taken (or maybe it's Michael). The lighting is PERFECT!! I'm quite jealous. The burritos sound interesting too, maybe I'll try them... I'm just not sure what my finicky kids will think.

Ra-call-dee... said...

Cool! I want to try them out! I will let you know how it goes! I remember on the mission, a yam every morning! I love yams too!

MKShelley said...

YAY! A vegetarian recipe! I make yam and black bean quesadillas a lot with nutmeg. They are good, but I've been wanting to try something new and this looks great!

NessaAnn said...

I'm on a whole foods kick for the new year (my goal is to make a family WoW eating plan... it's been totally fun) so I've been trying a lot of vegetarian recipes. I try to throw in a little meat often enough that my poor husband doesn't dwindle and fade away. But I've found so many cool recipes! I'll put some more up.

Brooke said...

So, I made these tonight. *I* liked them, but the kids weren't overly thrilled. Hannah thought the sweet potatoes were too sweet, but didn't mention the beans. She picked at the whole thing and ate parts. Elijah took a couple of bites.
It will probably be a while before I torture them with it again, lol.