Wednesday, February 13, 2008

No More "Baby" Jed




Michael Quillen left an insightful and troubling comment on my last post. The problem: So now that Baby Jed is more than a year old and starting to stand up on his own and has sort of started taking steps (although Vanessa declared them unverified, unofficial, and without legal recognizance), can we really keep calling him "Baby" Jed? I mean, he's big. He's tall. He is clearly entering toddlerhood and leaving babyhood behind. But we literally ALWAYS refer to him as Baby Jed. As do all our family and acquaintances. There already is a "Big Jed" in the family, so do we call him "Little Jed?" But that hardly trips off the tongue. And "Perry Jed" is just too grown up. Sigh. I want him to stay a baby forever!!!! But here the problem lies. What do you think? Any suggestions?

PS - I'm glad you are all enjoying my Valentine's posts for Michael so much. He he he he he! (insert maniacal evil laughter, mostly directed at my sibling Eric)

6 comments:

Genevieve Beck said...

Vanessa--
What a fun blog and what a cute family you guys are. You seem to just love being a mom. I am just slowly breaking into the blogging world so check us out at http://michaelbeckfamily.blogspot.com/
I also tagged you. :)
Genevieve

Shannon said...

Aw, just call him baby Jed for a little while longer. Whatever comes out naturally is what works, I think. I mean he won't be a baby when he's 12, and he might not be the baby if he gets replaced by a little sister or something, you get the idea. He's still your baby though. I'm feeling similar sentiments, maybe I'm consoling myself. He's sure cute, whatever he is!

Katie said...

We called our kids "Baby" until the next baby came along. Although in our middle son's case, he started telling us "I not a baby" when he was about 2. Our oldest would still be content to be called a baby :-)

Ali Howell said...

I know this one!!! We called our first baby london, and so did all our friends and family. One day my sister in law called and informed us they were now calling her "big girl baby london." more appropriate for the age but not letting the baby title leave yet! So big boy baby jed!!! It's the dignity he deserves for his age combined with the term of endearment and almost natural name attachment of "baby" still in there!!!

Shiloh said...

If Baby Jed isn't complaining yet, I say there is no problem!!! :D

Brooke said...

You can call him 'Baby Jed' until he starts complaining about it. Hannah was close to 3 before she told someone she wasn't a baby. Elijah is only four short months from being 3, and he still refers to himself as 'Baby Zhi-zhah'