Thursday, February 7, 2008

Review: Taking Charge of Your Fertility

Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler
(This review is probably appropriate for feminine eyes only. Boys, you probably don't want to know.)



After hearing rave reviews all over the internet, I attempted to buy a copy of this at our local B&N – nope, sold out. Then Borders – nope, the copies fly off the shelves so fast they can't keep them in. Finally, it seems, women are thrilled to find a book that explains clearly, concisely, factually, and entertainingly what exactly is going on in all that female machinery in there.

Sure, we all saw the birth movie and read the condom-centered pamphlets as teenagers, we thought we knew it all. But this book, for the first time I've ever found, actually explains the woman's body in terms of childbearing, rather than sexuality. That is what women's bodies are programmed to do—reproduce! Revolutionary in an era of “safe sex!” No embarrassment about how copulation works here, only a refreshing, honest look at what, how, and why women's bodies do what they do. My mind was blown as my view of my body did a complete 180 degree change, and suddenly those irritating monthly occurrences took on a fascinating, almost glorious splendor.

Did you know that your body temperature fluctuations can tell you exactly what part of your cycle you are at? Did you even know you have cervical fluid, and that it changes through your cycle? Ever notice your cervix ascending and descending? Yeah, me neither, and that's why you need to read this book. The “Taking Charge” part comes when you start tracking your cycle using your body's signs. Once you are familiar with your own cycle, you can literally know for sure exactly 1) when you are fertile, 2) when you are not, and 3) even control to an extent the gender of your child (?!?!?!?!). OK, number 3 isn't as guaranteed as the other, but supposedly the birth control technique, when you use both temps and cervical signs, is 98% accurate. That's pretty awesome for no nasty pill or side effects.

The book also has sections geared specifically toward women trying to conceive or boost their fertility, lactating women, and even women in menopause. I read the whole thing, every bit was fascinating.

I love this book. I can't recommend it enough. Every woman in every stage of life should read it. I can't wait til I have teenage daughters someday so we can sit down with this book and go “Whooooaaaaa! Neat!” together.

(And as long as we're on the topic, check out my fantastic new female accessory. Ever want to just forget you're on your period for hours and hours, even days? Yeehah! I LOVE IT.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great book. I will read it! Thanks for sharing.

Tania said...

This is one of my all time favorite books. I discovered it in 2000, and have been recommending it ever since. I am making it required reading for my girls. EVERY WOMAN should read this. Even if you have no interest in getting or avoiding pregnancy - It's your body, you should know how it works. Great review.